Step by Step
Steps to enroll:
1. Check out our “Minimum Requirements” by selecting the following link – STEP 1
2. Submit transcripts by selecting the following link – Step 2
The evaluation will determine if you have: a minimum of 12 semester credit hours in the subject-specific content area for the certification sought unless certification sought is for mathematics or science at or above Grade 7, OR 15 semester credit hours in the subject-specific content area for the certification sought if the certification sought is for mathematics or science at or above Grade 7
3. Once you are approved, you must now decide what you want to pursue
4. If you have not passed ANY exams (TExES or PACT) you must select what you wish to pursue by selecting the following link STEP 3 and select a tab to find out which PACT exam you must take/pass FIRST prior to enrolling
- If a candidate wishes to take a content exam that is NOT the Special Education and /or Core EC-6 and does not have 12-15+ college credit hours on a specific content area, the candidate must take and pass the TX PACT content exam FIRST prior to enrolling South Texas Transition to Teaching-EPP. Once enrolled, the candidate will also need to take and pass the TExEScontent-specific pedagogy exam by EPP approval prior to the internship. Upon completion of the required exams and the coursework training/observation hours, a candidate can start applying for a teaching position and obtain an Intern or Probationary certificate.
5. If you have passed a TExES or PACT exam, you must contact SoTex ACP for additional guidance.
6. After passing the TExES or PACT exams, you are ready to enroll. Select the following link STEP 4 (password is required. Once enrollment is approved, you will be provided with the password) OR by calling the office to make an appointment and complete the enrollment process in person once your enrollment is approved.
7. Once you enroll, you will need to
- Focus on passing the required TExES exam (if you have not done so)
- Complete 180 pre-internship training hours. You can review these hours by selecting the following link STEP 5
8. SoTexACP will provide you with a Letter of Recommendation.
- SoTex ACP will also inform you are able to start applying after you pass the TExES exams through the “Late Hire Provision” rule*
*Late Hire Provision:
Definition of a Late Hire
RULE §228.2(23) Late hire–An individual who has not been accepted into an educator preparation program before the 45th day before the first day of instruction and who is hired for a teaching assignment by a school after the 45th day before the first day of instruction or after the school’s academic year has begun.
180 Coursework for Late Hire:
RULE §228.35(d) Late hire provisions. A late hire for a school district teaching position may begin employment under an intern or probationary certificate before completing the pre-internship requirements of subsection (b) of this section but shall complete these requirements within 90 school days of assignment.